The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
20 de septiembre 2017
|Gasquet stunned by Istomin in Metz|
19 de septiembre 2017
|Barcelona 6 Eibar 1: Majestic Messi leads romp with four goals for LaLiga leaders|
|Burnley 2 Leeds United 2 (aet, 3-5 pens): Lonergan the penalty hero as Championship leaders cause cu|
|Matic and Fellaini have never been this good – Mourinho tells Carrick, Herrera to be patient|
|I´m the first to trust young players - Conte defends Chelsea youth record|
|Inconsistent Windies disappoint Holder|
|Bairstow pleased to take ODI chance|
|Tottenham 1 Barnsley 0: Alli sees off stubborn Tykes|
|Bologna 1 Inter 1: Contentious Icardi spot-kick maintains Spalletti´s unbeaten run|
|Leicester City 2 Liverpool 0: Okazaki, Slimani dump Klopp´s men out of EFL Cup|
|Schalke 0 Bayern Munich 3: James scores on first Bundesliga start|
|Atletico benefiting from competition of fringe players - Simeone|
|England centurion Bairstow ends West Indies´ World Cup hopes|
|Manchester City have got two players for every position - Delph|
|Peng digs deep to avoid Guangzhou upset|
|Youzhny and Troicki battle through in St. Petersburg|
|Rossi close to Aragon return after completing 20 laps|
|Bayern could say they don´t need me – Lewandowski accepts football´s cut-throat nature|
|PGA Tour releases 2017-18 schedule|
|Wasps dealt blow as Cipriani ruled out for 12 weeks|
|Montella to keep on rotating as he plans for long season|
|Billionaire investor announces he is ´done´ funding Hamburg|
|Van Vleuten leads Dutch one-two in Bergen time trial|
|World Cup success Gibson´s top priority with South Africa|
|Philander sidelined for first Bangladesh Test|
|Wenger confirms Welbeck groin injury|
|Ljungberg sad to leave Wolfsburg|
|Ferdinand, McGregor and Curry - Sport´s most notable crossover stars|
|Will Bellew put pen to paper? - Haye claims terms for rematch agreed|
|Messi has his story, I have mine - Dybala plays down compatriot comparisons|
|Hazard to start against Nottingham Forest as Conte prepares to rotate|
|New Real Madrid contract ´already done´ for Zidane|
|´Fresh´ Froome ready for Bergen time-trial challenge|
|Chelsea won´t appeal David Luiz red card, Conte confirms|
|Cibulkova on form in Tokyo|
|Mbappe and Dembele lead Golden Boy nominees|
|Dembele tipped for early January return after successful surgery|
|I hope it´s the last time – Zidane relieved to welcome back Ronaldo|
|Szczesny to face Fiorentina as Allegri calls for Juventus consistency|
|Court will hear appeal to extend Pistorius sentence|
|Gundogan fears he might never return to top form after Manchester City injury nightmare|
|Springbok Kriel out for six months|
|Bayern Munich goalkeeper Neuer ruled out until January|
|Kick It Out contact Manchester United over ´offensive´ Lukaku chant|
|´Golovkin v Canelo rematch must avoid judge controversy´|
|It´s Seoul over for Bertens & Pliskova|
|He said what?! The best NFL quotes from week two|
|Cologne drop protest against Borussia Dormtund VAR goal|
|Ferdinand wants to recapture ´chemical of competition´ from boxing|
|Barcelona not planning January signings despite Dembele injury|
|Bulldogs give Hasler the boot|
|Neville trolls Ferdinand as Manchester United great starts boxing career|
|Manchester United great Rio Ferdinand to launch boxing career|
|Morgan won´t hold Stokes back ahead of impending Samuels rivalry renewal|
|Oxlade-Chamberlain relieved to join Liverpool from Arsenal, says Klopp|
|Red Sox keep Yankees at arm´s length, Brewers inch closer to Rockies|
|Case closed! Tianjin Quanjian dismiss Aubameyang links|
|He Said What?! The best NFL quotes from week two|
|Foreman ´awfully surprised´ by McGregor´s boxing but doesn´t expect him back in ring|
|Lions rip Giants as Beckham returns|
|Tevez has not met expectations, says Shanghai Shenhua chairman|
|Yankees´ Judge ties one Maris mark, Stanton inches closer to another|
|Socceroos pair Jedinak and Rukavytsya return to squad for World Cup play-off|
|Allegri not the reason for Bonucci´s Juve exit – wife|
|Hazard: I improved after a week with Conte at Chelsea|
|Odell Beckham Jr will play against Lions|
|NFL still ´confident´ Los Angeles will embrace Rams, Chargers|
|We aren´t far off Real Madrid – Herrera sees no reason for De Gea to head home|
|McCarron defends Dalton: He´s an unbelievable quarterback|
|Manchester City obliged to win title after spending so much - Herrera|