The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
20 de noviembre 2017
|Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Stoke City 2: Gross, Izquierdo extend home unbeaten run|
|Dimitrov braced for Australian Open expectations|
|Broncos fire offensive coordinator Mike McCoy|
|England won´t suffer Gabba ambush, Malan claims|
|Rose in contention to face Dortmund as Pochettino denies ´issue´ with defender|
|Benzema knows he can give more – Zidane|
|I´ve fulfilled my dreams already – Klopp has no plans to coach Barcelona|
|Memorable Ashes Moments: Unlikely saviour Agar falls agonisingly short|
|Wallabies coach Cheika faces investigation|
|The Ashes: Australia squad profiles|
|Aubameyang will face Tottenham, Bosz confirms|
|Klopp expects Matip to face Chelsea, Lallana return getting ´nearer´|
|Brown could return for England, Underhill out|
|Haye´s rematch with Bellew off due to bicep tear|
|The Ashes: England squad profiles|
|Gatland vows not to rise to New Zealand media barbs|
|Berizzo looking to former Red Aspas to provide lessons for Sevilla|
|Mangala ready to pounce, but realistic on Man City playing time|
|The Ashes: How the urn will be won - the case for Australia and England|
|Innovation key as WTA Media embraces evolving viewing habits|
|Trump calls for Lynch to be suspended as anthem row returns|
|Mendy injury means Aguero or Jesus for Guardiola|
|Kohli proud of India after almost snatching Kolkata win|
|The Ashes: Key contests in the battle for the urn|
|Guardiola sends ´big hug´ to ´amazing, so gentle´ Pulis|
|Tavecchio quits as head of FIGC, claims board have refused to resign|
|Benedetto facing Argentina World Cup KO with cruciate injury|
|Hansen hails All Blacks progress|
|Kohli´s record century precedes Bhuvneshwar heroics, but Sri Lanka cling on|
|Shape up! Heynckes reveals demand to Bayern star Vidal|
|Australia hope to open England ´scars´ in Brisbane|
|Smiling Broad sports bruise after golfing mishap|
|Ramos sits out Madrid trip to APOEL|
|West Brom sack Pulis after wretched run|
|Ball fighting fit ahead of Ashes opener at the Gabba|
|Murray should appoint Delgado as Lendl replacement - Henman|
|Former Wimbledon champion Novotna dies aged 49|
|Lloris wants Spurs to forget title and focus on top four|
|Pogba no Gerrard yet, says Benitez|
|Pearce released from Roosters contract|
|Expect to get six ducks – Paine reveals Rogers´ Ashes advice|
|Lyon: I don´t care if Stokes plays Ashes|
|Curry´s offensive explosion leads Warriors past Nets|
|Ball records second triple-double to join Magic, West in record books|
|Patriots, Ravens win among multiple blowouts|
|Flyers´ Gudas suspended for 10 games for violent slash|
|Two-time NBA All-Star David Lee announces retirement|
|Guardiola will ´kill´ City stars if they get complacent|
|Bills coach McDermott to ´evaluate´ quarterback position|
|LeBron on Kaepernick controversy: I don´t respect the NFL|
|Ibrahimovic: My injury was worse than people know|
|Russell to leave Warriors at end of season|
|Cook cruises to first PGA Tour win|
|Truex wins first NASCAR championship|
|Cardinals´ Fitzgerald now fifth all-time in receiving yards|
|Icardi like a ´raptor pouncing on its prey´, says Spalletti|
19 de noviembre 2017
|Tired Goffin insists: ´I will be ready for Davis Cup final´|
|In-form Chelsea have regained hunger - Conte|
|Stones can bounce back stronger - Kompany|
|Guardiola ready to risk Kompany for Man City after Stones´ injury|
|City style suits me and thrills neutrals, says De Bruyne|
|Dimitrov thanks Scherzinger for giving him the X Factor at ATP Finals|
|Inter 2 Atalanta 0: Icardi brace sends Spalletti´s side second|
|Giampaolo promises more from ´extraordinary´ Sampdoria|
|Dimitrov overcomes gutsy Goffin to win ATP Finals|
|Memorable Ashes Moments: Australia skittled for 98 at MCG|
|NFL extends deal to play in Mexico through 2021|
|Record-breaking Valencia tee up blockbuster Barcelona clash|
|Poor West Ham performance at Watford was to be expected - Moyes|
|We will see what happens in the future - Silva non-committal on Everton rumours|